Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Spring Break Reading Recommendations

Spring Break is in the air. Hopefully you are taking time for yourself. Perhaps some reading time? Here is a list of my favorite grown-up reads. I read widely and love YA, but sometimes take a break. 

10. Wife 22-fiction, exploring love and social media
9. Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter- history and vampires- presented plausibly 
8. Wolf Hall- historical fiction, life and times of Cromwell
7. The Chaperon-historical fiction set in the Twenties with a unanticipated twist 
6. The Power of Habit-nonfiction where the personal and profession combine
5. Half Broke Horses- nonfiction vignettes reminiscent of a different time
4. Lay That Trumpet Down in Their Hands-historical fiction set around a real Florida civil rights murder
3.  Garden Spell by Sarah Addison Allen- magical realism set in NC 
2. When She Woke-- science fiction, a blend of theThe Handmaid's Tale and The Scarlet Letter, but better
1. A Discovery of Witches- magic, history & science best grownup fantasy 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm . . . I don't think I've read any of these. Oh, wait, I did read Lay That Trumpet, of course. Maybe Wife 22 would be a good one when my spring break rolls around. I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting. Actually, I distinctly remember reading Gone Girl last year during spring break. I'm sure I'll like it more than I did that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... Lay that Trumpet for chill spring break reading? I don't know... I started a fictional Victorian scientific memoir about a dragon naturalist today. It's pretty awesome so far. A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Your words matter!