Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Addicted


My English education students at UCF, they are blogging this semester. I have been truly trying to mirror the work that I would ask of my high school students. They are reading a second professional book of their choice.  You can check their responses out here:

 http://knightwriting.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/professional-book-response-1/

This poem was inspired by a website that one of my students, Caty, shared in her discovery of resources while reading Adolscents on the Edge by Jimmy Santiago Baca and Releah Cossent Lent.

Check out:  http://www.pongoteenwriting.org


ADDICTED


a poem by Beth


I am addicted.

I am addicted to reading

In my addiction, my life is filled with story

In my addiction, I am glad to escape


I am addicted.

I am addicted to reading

In my addiction, I hate to think about when I turn the last page.

In my addiction, the real me becomes the character.


I am addicted.

I am addicted to reading.

In my addiction, betrayal comes in the form of my favorite character dying.

In my addiction, I struggle to let go of the end.


I am addicted.

I am addicted to reading.

In my addiction, I am hiding my purchases from my husband.

In my addiction, I’m in a constant battle with falling in love with yet another.


I am addicted.

1 comment:

  1. Great poem! Obviously, one I can relate to (except the hiding purchases part). But, like you, I always feel a bit sad at the end of a book, and it takes me a few days to pull myself away from that world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Your words matter!