Monday, January 6, 2014

It's Monday: What Am I Reading???? Sequels & Companion Novels

I confess...I love series or companion novels. I hate it when most books end.  I love to linger in their world. I also love to put series into my students' hands.  If they like it, it is easier to get the next book into their hands. My 4th grader is reading the Rick Riordan Lightening Thief series, The Dork Diaries and she still loves The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. If you look at Krashen's work, one thing that series books promote is reading fluency since kids are familiar with the storyline.  So don't disregard the power of series books in your classroom or in your child's hands even if it is another Captain Underpants book. (Yes, my daughter loves this series too...I blame her dad.) This week I read a few companion and\or sequels.

 

I read book number 2 in the Hourglass series by Myra McEntire. What I enjoyed most about this second book in the series is that she tells the story from other character's perspectives. This story would make a great mentor text about perspective or point of view.

I happened upon Thumped while browsing the availabe e-books in my library. I immediately downloaded it since I enjoyed Bumped.  This books was a quick read although the ending was predictable.  I love the controversy this book can raise with students.  I think it would be a great book for the students in Health classes at my school.

Annabel by Lauren Oliver is a short story that is connected to to the Delirium series.  I enjoyed getting a look inside Lena's mom's head and learning about the origins of the virus.

Right now I can't say what I will read this week as I am not sure what it will hold. I have plenty to choose from but don't know where the first week back from winter's break will lead me! Happy Day!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of timepiece. Sounds interesting. And as much as I love Megan McCafferty, I just couldn't get into bumped. I have the ebook so I can try again. Today I just got two of my boxes from Alan so I have a great TBR list! I finished All Our Yesterdays this morning. It was pretty engaging. I liked the way she told the story from the same character at two different points in time (there's time travel). I'm reading Better Off Friends now. Then it's to the boxes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Your words matter!