Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Feeling Blue!

What are you doing this month? Can you find 14-20 minutes to spare each day? For yourself? Just to move? October 14th was the kick-off for the Big Blue test and it lasts until November 14th. Log your workout minutes each day at the website http://bigbluetest.org/.  The goal this year is to have at least 20,000 people log their minutes and $10,000 dollars will be donated to nonprofit research to find a cure. You can even download an app to mark your minutes. I was reminded about the importance of exercise after receiving my A1C today.  It wasn't good.

Managing Type 1 diabetes hinges on three components, exercise, diet,and insulin. I have been sidelined from working out since July 22nd when I had ACL surgery. I have been managing my food intake closely in order to offset my lack of motion. I didn't account for my need for extra insulin. In fact, I know that I threw away at least three bottles of insulin thinking they had gone bad.  (It's not hard to do in Florida during the summer!) I realized today that I needed to change my basal rate---it didn't happen because I realized it three months too late.  Hindsight is 20-20. Every other number looked great today, the small victories.  The larger victory, my understanding the power of exercise in the management of my disease.   Luckily, I've been released to do cardio for 20 minutes a day as part of my physical therapy this month and my endo has helped me adjust my basal rate. The A1C will come back down.  I never thought I would be so happy to have the opportunity to exercise.  The Big Blue Test just provides even more motivation to do so.

This movement, however, isn't just for diabetics. I hope you join me in taking care of yourself this month, just by stepping out with me.  Cardio is not only great for the body, but also the mind.  .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Your words matter!