Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 3: Stride for Pride

This morning I got up early and yes, went to school.  Not for work, but for exercise and to support our learning community.  Many teachers and students joined me on this beautiful breezy spring morning in March, one of the benefits of living in Florida this time of year. I walked\ran as part of the "Stride for Pride" 5K Run, Rock, and Roll, a memorial for one of our students who passed away in early August. His entire family is an integral part of our school, his grandfather, mother, father, and cousin work there and his sister attends our school.  The proceeds from this event will establish a scholarship fund in his name.  Rather than making New Year's resolutions, staff members on campus used the event to motivate themselves to get in shape.

My plan in January was to be ready in March to run it, but I have continued to be sidelined by the negotiation of lows while I work out.  After two miles I bottom out.  Time for candy.  I test, sugar up, ret-test and keep going.  Almost defeating in a way if the point of my workout was to lose weight.  Pretty much this has been my routine since April when I started working out seriously again after my diagnosis three years ago.  I give kudos to the women, Jackie, Jennifer, Helen, Haylie, and Erin, who have traversed those miles with me.  They will tell you that they have been scared when I start sweating globs that indicate something other than the fact that I have been working out.  I was scared too.  That fear kept me out of my shoes for a while.  But I am back and they have been patient and stuck by my side. 

For most of the race today, Lee Ann stayed by my side.  Our children were the incentive as they biked the race in half the time it took us to walk it.  They were out of our sight for a long while, but I didn't worry.  Even though out campus is large 35 acres and our staff large, close to 200, I knew that the supports I have in my learning community would help them find their way. At times, I ran ahead doing intervals to prepare myself for my return to ultimate frisbee and perhaps running an entire 5K.  I was never alone.  Cheers from my student Kevin, the sight of my principal leading my way, and the encouragement of my longtime friend, Jackie after finishing the race in 28 minutes came and ran the last mile with me keep me from being alone.

My disease has helped me resee my work; I am never alone.  It's also complicated my work; I am alone. As in teaching and in life with the right supports in place, you can start and finish the race. Today I finished in 43 minutes, my daughter in 29. 

3 comments:

  1. Love that you are hanging in there despite the unique challenges you face in running. Having a cheerleading squad does make a difference - and I think your ability to finish at any time speaks volumes to your determination and that of your friends to support you.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I, too, am a runner and instructional coach in an urban district. Loved your play-by-play. I could feel the whole race through your words. I am getting ready to run the Peachtree 10K in Atlanta this year! Hang in there and keep runnning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! There we are! Love that you dropped in the picture. Learning, in any sphere, whether it's exercise, health, even technology is a step-by-step process. I'm so lucky to take many of my steps with you.
    Hugs,
    las

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Your words matter!